Keratosis pilaris treatment, symptoms may be a common, harmless skin condition that causes dry, rough patches and little bumps, often on the upper arms, thighs, cheeks, or buttocks. The bumps are usually painless or itchy.
Keratosis pilaris is usually considered a variant of normal skin. It can’t be cured or prevented. However, it are often treated with prescription moisturizers and creams to assist improve the looks of the skin. The condition usually disappears by age 30.
Also Read: 10 Tips to Makeup on Acne Prone Skin
What are the Keratosis Pilaris Symptoms
Keratosis pilaris can occur at any age, but it’s more common in young children. Signs and symptoms include the following:
- Tiny painless lumps that typically appear on the upper arms, thighs, cheeks, or buttocks.
- Dry, rough skin in lumpy areas.
- Worsening when seasonal changes cause low humidity and dry skin.
- Sandpaper-like bumps that seem like goose bumps.
When to Determine a Doctor
Generally, no treatment is important for keratosis. But if you’re concerned about your skin or that of your child, consult your GP or a specialist in skin conditions (dermatologist).
Keratosis Pilaris Causes
Keratin plug open pop-up window
Keratosis pilaris is caused by the build-up of keratin, a tough protein that protects the skin from harmful substances and infections. Keratin clogs the opening of hair follicles, causing rough and uneven spots on the skin.
It is not clear why keratin accumulation occurs in people with keratosis. It can happen in association with a hereditary disease or with skin conditions, like atopic eczema. Dry skin features a tendency to create keratosis worse.
Can keratosis be treated?
As the Mayo Clinic points out , there are therapies that help improve the looks of the affected skin. Thus, if the bumps and dryness persist despite basic care, your doctor or dermatologist may suggest medicated creams.
These options is products with urea, carboxylic acid, retinoids and hydroxy acid, among others. additionally to the present, the treatment will be supplemented with some natural remedies that also seem to boost the looks of the skin. within the next space we detail some options.
Also Read: 4 Home Remedies for Oily Skin
keratosis Pilaris Treatment Home Remedy
There is no remedy which will eliminate keratosis or keratosis pilaris treatment. In fact, whether or not pharmacological products are used, outbreaks can appear and reappear for several years. Despite this, over time it improves on its own and tends to be less noticeable.
Now, it’s possible that some natural keratosis pilaris treatment home remedy are useful in reducing the symptoms of this condition. However, most come from popular literature and lack scientific backing. Despite this, there’s no problem if you opt to do them, since most of them are safe. Let’s take a look at some options.
1- Lukewarm Baths
According to a publication within the Cleveland Clinic, most keratosis patients get improvement by changing their routine to avoid dry skin. during this sense, it’s convenient to go for baths with warm water , for no quite quarter-hour – ideally, it should be less.
The use of hot and prolonged showers isn’t recommended, as they cause alteration within the natural oils of the skin and increase dryness. additionally, it’s convenient to use neutral and moisturizing soaps , especially when the skin tends to be too dry.
2- Exfoliate Gently
Learning to exfoliate carefully allows you to get rid of the dead cells that are being retained on the surface of the skin. because of this, the looks of the skin improves noticeably. The American Academy of Dermatology recommends employing a loofah or rough towel for this treatment.
However, it’s important to rub lightly, using circular motions, as doing it vigorously can burst clogged hair follicles and make true worse. When finished, it’s convenient to pat dry with the towel and apply a moisturizer.
3- Coconut Oil for keratosis Pilari
There is not enough evidence to verify the effectiveness of vegetable oil in improving the symptoms of keratosis. Despite this, it’s been used as an adjuvant to enhance symptoms, since it’s hydrating and helps reduce the rough sensation. It can even be combined with a bit coarse sugar for a homemade scrub.
A review of studies published within the scientific journal International Journal of Molecular Sciences highlights that oil is anti-inflammatory and contributes to the repair of the skin barrier. additionally, it also has antioxidant activity and helps protect the dermis against the negative effects of the sun.
Using colloidal oatmeal as a part of your care routine for keratosis and other skin conditions can help keep the dermis hydrated and guarded. This ingredient could be a sort of finely ground oatmeal, which might be added to creams, baths, and other skin care products.
According to a study published within the Journal of medicine in Dermatology , it’s a natural product with anti-inflammatory and antihistamine properties that may help improve the symptoms of dermatitis, psoriasis, drug-induced rash, and other skin conditions.
important tips for keratosis Pilaris Treatment at Home?
As we are able to see, some remedies of natural origin will be useful when it involves improving keratosis. However, additionally to the present, it’s convenient to use medicated products, avoid wearing tight clothing and install a humidifier reception. The latter adds moisture to the air within the room and helps reduce outbreaks itchy.
Of course, it’s also important to sometimes consult a dermatologist , especially if the outbreaks degenerate or if there are any irregularities in them. The professional are able to suggest some tests to work out if the symptoms are because of another problem, or can guide towards specific treatments.
5 Steps to Improve Keratosis Pilaris
- The first thing to keep in mind is that it is essential to be constant in your daily care, otherwise it will get worse again. It is not only essential to have a hygiene routine but also to apply the appropriate products. Opting for cleansers that do not contain soap becomes a first step to avoid dry skin , a factor that worsens this problem.
- Moisturizing your skin in general and the area in particular, every day, will be essential to improve the appearance of your arms. Opt for products that contain lactic acid or salicylic acid as they are the best to reduce the roughness of this condition, as well as to remove dead skin cells. Do not forget that you should apply them twice a day, once in the morning and once before going to sleep.
- Exfoliate your skin at least once a week. Resorting to homemade and natural scrubs is one of your best options. You can mix granulated coffee with your cream or choose to combine sugar and oil. Apply your mixtures on the skin in circular movements and, very important, do it gently. Then rinse and dry carefully.
- Avoid very hot showers and do not rub the area with the towel when finished, otherwise you will irritate the area.
- Do you want any complementary home remedies ? Use apple cider vinegar. Thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, it is very useful in the prevention of different infections. You only have to apply it on the area with a cotton ball. Another of your options is coconut oil rich in fatty acids , a product that acts as a perfect moisturizer as well as having antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. You can mix it with sugar during exfoliation. Including fish , more specifically cold-water fish , in your diet will improve keratosis pilaris at a faster rate thanks to the omega-3 fatty acids they contain.